Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sophie

I think perhaps I may be a cat, born into a human body. I have my cautious curiosities bundled in a mistrusting parcel of whim. I didn’t think this until I lived thus, daily, with a pair of felines. They had to tame me, as much as I tamed them. They crawl in my lap now, curling their warmth in a half moon on my thighs. They sleep in a circle near my face, their back so often walling up my side (they like to physically make sure I’m there, my announcement of arrival into bed isn’t enough). Sasha, the blind one, waits for hours on my blanket (I have been a late sleeper lately). I sometimes wonder if their previous bedmates, that still man this house, notice – the absence of a warm half-moon in their beds.

Today for the first time, they both convened for space on my small lap – until sasha, my older companion, let sophie stay… He knew she was newer to trusting this newcomer in their house.

‘There is nothing inherently wrong in a person, one could come to find comfort in anyone reasonable’ –Sophie taught me this. By curling in my lap today, by correcting my faulty fear that she inherently disliked me, she taught me this simple insight. She didn’t bound off every time I stepped nearby because I was un-get-alongable – No. She had a different taming timeline. That was all.

And this is why I think I may be a cat (and at that - a sophie cat). For I take my time to tame my mistrust. And mostly no one has that much time (perchance most humans are humans in human bodies, unlike me, a sophie cat).

[Or could it be that there is a Madeeha human in the body of Sophie cat?]

Jan 14th, 2013 11:40PM.




1 comment: