Friday, June 22, 2012

Let me be a Bird

Suddenly very grateful to life for the privilege of being able to have fine teas, listening to BBC radio (Honest Doubt). Sitting outside my own body on the road, hypothetically selling hair clips, I am watching myself through chinks of the draped window.... And am envious.


Let me be a Bird


Many gardens, we love like needy lovers
Entering
to pluck fruit
drink off a stream
snip long-stemmed roses.


Some gardens, we nourish like mothers
Bringing
water in urns
to parched grasses
planting pale purple irises.


Rarely, we watch over like birds
Picking
dead leaves
to build houses
Twit at strangers
Guarding the fruit
Kissing flowers - giving and taking.


I choose to be a bird,
Small, swift, full of song
Pollinating
Tilling the soil
Sewing long leaves to live in.


June 22nd, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Bringing
    water in urns
    to parched grasses

    Something about the loveliness of urns! And be a bird with a 'home'? That might defeat the reckless freedom birds seem to have.

    ReplyDelete