Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Salt

Days are evening gray
In sullen rains –
Bored rivulets laze sinuously
As the dissolving soil
Thickens them into muddy goo,
Making it harder,
Harder to walk,
Harder to move forward.

Beauty hasn’t been enough lately –
To startle me,
Take my breath away,
Lure.

Salt.
That’s what it abruptly came as,
To my imagination –
The taste of skin.

My hand holds my hand,
Stripping off all color from star magnolias.
Nothing chases me down the road,
Work, lab, phone calls…
Nothing draws me out of this corner.

I am braver though, than the rest
I seek redress in petty poetry,
In carving crooked half-clothed verses
And plastering them
Like neon signs
On a flashy bar entrance.

I am braver though, than the rest
I allow my hand to pull me out,
Through my hand and sit,
Cross-legged, face-to-face
And look on into darkness,
Meaninglessness of life,
Through the holes in my eyes.

I am braver though, than the rest
Than the best
I will fake a smile,
Fabricate a reason…
I will hide the secret well.

I will let the veil stay,
Covering the meanings they think it hides
I will let the veil stay,
Lest they see their frightened faces
I will let the veil stay,
Over the mayhem of men in mirrors
I will let the veil stay
I will let them pray.

April 7th, 2010.

1 comment:

  1. The last stanza is almost like a song. Very nice! Comes from deep within.

    ReplyDelete